Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Talking About Money

I am using Google Translate for the Danish, Dutch and Frisian renderings.

English: money
High German: das Geld
Danish: penge
Dutch: geld
Frisian: jild


English: I have to exchange money.
High German: Ich muss Geld Umtauschen.
Danish: Jeg er nødt til at veksle penge.
Dutch: Ik moet geld wisselen.
Frisian: Ik moat jild wikselje.

Another way to say "I have to exchange money" is to say "I must exchange money." I am thinking that the English must, the High German muss, the Dutch moet and the Frisian moat are related.

I don't see anything in the other languages that looks like the High German umtauschen; however, there is a High German word, wechseln, that means to change or to switch. I am thinking that veksle, wisselen, and wikselje are variants of wechseln.



English: Which currency do you need?
German: Welche Währung brauchst du?
Danish: Hvilken valuta har du brug for?
Dutch: Welke valuta heb je nodig?
Frisian: Hokker faluta hawwe jo nedich?

It looks to me like the German, Danish and Dutch words for which could be related. The Frisian word is clearly different. The English word currency is clearly unrelated to the equivalent word in the other languages, as is the German word Währung. The equivalent words in Danish, Dutch and Frisian seem to be related.







No comments:

Post a Comment