Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2019

Fascination with Germanic Languages

I am going to be doing something a little different.

I find myself fascinated with Germanic languages.

My grandparents on my father's side spoke High German when they were young. On the other hand, my grandparents on my mother's side spoke Low German. Supposedly, this Low German from northern Germany was similar to the language spoken by the Angles and Saxons when they settled in England in the mid-fifth century.

I have a fair knowledge of High German, although I would have to put in some work to get really proficient at it. But I think my High German is good enough to make comparisons with other Germanic languages and dialects.

So, the next several posts will be about comparisons and contrasts with various Germanic languages.

Los geht's!


No comments:

Post a Comment